It is estimated that 1 in 5 Americans suffer from dandruff, which averages out to around 50,000,000 people, with more men being affected than women. This is primarily due to the fact that in general, the sebaceous glands of men produce about 50 percent more oil than women, and too much oil can assist in the overgrowth of microorganisms. Those suffering from dandruff not only deal with the daily inconvenience of the condition, but may also face a decline in self-esteem due to falling flakes and constant itching.
Is dandruff harmful? Not really. Contrary to popular belief, dandruff will not cause you to lose your hair, it is not contagious, and you cannot use a standard shampoo to rid yourself of it. In fact, dandruff cannot be cured, only controlled. In order to help manage your dandruff, you’ll need to purchase a shampoo made specifically to treat dandruff. In order to find the best dandruff shampoo for men, it must contain one of the following ingredients:
- Selenium sulfide – Selenium sulfide works by encouraging a reduction in the natural oils produced by your scalps sebaceous glands.
- Ketoconazole – This ingredient works as an anti-fungal agent, keeping your dandruff under control by keeping the fungi under control.
- Zinc Pyrithione – This ingredient works to reduce the overgrowth of microorganisms on the scalp.
- Coal Tar – Coal tar has been used for decades as a natural anti-fungal medication. While coal tar is extremely effective, it is also known to have an unpleasant scent.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil comes from the Tea Tree of Australia. As a natural anti-fungal it’s often chosen by those who wish to stay away from chemically medicated shampoos.
- Argan Oil – Another natural ingredient that people turn to is Argan Oil. This oil is packed with antioxidants, vitamin E and essential fatty acids, and works by moisturizing your scalp.
Finally, diet may also play a part in combating this dreaded condition. According to clinical nutritionist Seki Tijani “dandruff can be a sign of deficiencies, particularly in something like essential fatty acids.” Also, be sure to drink plenty of water, consume foods high in B vitamins and zinc, and fiber as well.
Our 5 Best Dandruff Shampoos for Men
Here they are, our offerings for the best dandruff shampoos for men available on the market today. As you can see, we’ve included a nice variety, taking into consideration the different causes of dandruff. Remember, to get the best bang for your buck, get to know exactly what the cause of your dandruff is, as well as your hair type. Remember, we are rooting for you, we want to help you overcome this condition. So, take particular care to not only buy the best dandruff shampoo for you, but also create a well-rounded dandruff fighting routine by including the proper nutrients in your every day diet.
If you’re a guy who’s suffering from the inconvenience of an itchy, flaky scalp, and find that most commercial anti-dandruff shampoos that contain harmful chemicals do your scalp more harm than good, then ArtNaturals Organic Argan Oil Shampoo is for you. Made from natural ingredients, ArtNaturals not only cleanses and hydrates your hair, but the inclusion of argan oil works to help silence dandruff. For decades, argan oil has been used to help soothe irritated scalps, reducing the amount of flakes in the process. The cold-pressed, Moroccan Argan oil used in ArtNaturals hair care products is high in Vitamin E, as well as being antioxidant packed. The addition of essential fatty acids present in argan ensure that any scalp irritation is reduced, and your skin gently moisturized. Other ingredients include jojoba oil, peach, almond and avocado oils. This sulfate, and paraben free shampoo can also be used on color-treated hair. If you are searching for an all natural shampoo that’s a little tougher, then look into ArtNaturals Scalp18 Coal Tar Therapeutic Anti-Dandruff Shampoo.
- Formulated from all natural ingredients
- Contains cold-pressed, Moroccan Argan oil
- Jojoba, peach, almond and avocado oils
- Sulfate, paraben and cruelty free
- Those sensitive to argan oil may experience skin irritation
- ArtNaturals has been known to alter the formula of this hair care product
Ketoconazole 1 percent is the active ingredient in Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. As an anti-fungal agent, ketoconazole works to help battle dandruff caused by P. ovale, a naturally occurring fungus, by killing the fungus. Please note that products containing ketoconazole will not work well for those of you whose dandruff is not due to fungi, such as those who suffer from dandruff due to dry skin or eczema.
As it binds to each strand,Nizoral A-D is designed to be effective with just 2 applications each week. Also this shampoo is made for adults, so please consult your doctor before using it on children under 12 years. This shampoo can be used on chemically processed and color-treated hair, and works well with your other shampoos and styling products.
- Formulated with antifungal agent, Ketoconazole 1 percent
- Just apply twice per week
- Binds to the protein of the hair shaft
- Is compatible with your everyday shampoo
- May cause dry hair and scalp in some users
- According to EWG research group, it contains Formaldehyde
If you love the effectiveness of coal tar shampoo, but dislike the smell, then AG Hair Style Control Anti-Dandruff Shampoo is the perfect choice. This shampoo is formulated to assist you in controlling dandruff without the use of coal tar. Instead it uses zinc pyrithione, which battles the fungi responsible for certain types of dandruff. In fact, AG Control contains the strongest allowable amount of zinc pyrithione, available without a prescription. Knowing that your scalp will be dry and irritated, AG Hair Style Control Anti-Dandruff Shampoo contains ingredients which work to soothe your irritated scalp, such as cucumber, aloe vera and vitamin E. While many of you already know the benefits of aloe vera and vitamin E, the beneficial effects of cucumber may have slipped by. Indeed, cucumbers contain vitamins C and A, as well as silica, which all work to encourage hair growth, also due to it’s alkaline nature, it helps to soothe your scalp. This shampoo produces a rich, satisfying lather, and rinses squeaky clean, leaving you with a lustrous sheen, and manageable mane.
- Strongest amount of zinc pyrithione available without a prescription
- Contains no coal tar
- Formulated with aloe vera, vitamin E and cucumber to soothe your scalp
- Supplies a rich, creamy, lovely smelling lather
- Has been known to produce dry hair and scalp for some users
- Hair may have a tendency to tangle after the shampoo
Dermatologist recommended brand Neutrogena, has been responsible for developing some of the most advanced, therapeutic hair and skin care products on the market. Neutrogena’s T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo functions to medicate your scalp as it cleans, leaving your hair soft, silky and easy to manage.
Developed to help you in your battle against dandruff, dermatitis, and psoriasis with regular use. The secret behind the success of this much loved hair care product is Neutrogena’s very own Neutar Solubilised Coal Tar Extract. Clinical tests have proven that this coal tar extract will continue to work once the shampoo has been rinsed off. Please note that since this is a medicated shampoo, it is not recommended for children 12 and under.
- Dermatologist recommended
- Formulated with Neutar Solubilised Coal Tar Extract
- Continues to work long after being rinsed off
- Works for scalp psoriasis, dermatitis and dandruff
- The long-lasting scent may be unpleasant to some
- May create dry, frizzy hair for some users
If reliability and dependability are what you’re searching for in a dandruff fighting shampoo, then get to know Selsun Blue Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo a little better. This is a medicated shampoo, designed to provide relief from the irritating symptoms of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, with the following active ingredients: selenium sulfide 1 percent, and menthol.
Once you apply Selsun Blue, you’ll begin to feel the pleasant tingling and cooling sensation of the menthol as it stimulates and soothes your scalp. Next, you’ll enjoy the rich, creamy and luxurious lather, which helps to gently clean your hair follicles without causing additional irritation, and leaves your hair surprisingly soft afterwards.
- Selenium sulfide 1 percent
- Works for dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis
- Contains menthol which cools and soothes your scalp
- Not only cleans, but leaves your hair soft and easy to manage
- The smell may be unpleasant for some users
- Some may find the 'beads' in the shampoo irritating
What Causes Dandruff?
In our review for the best dandruff shampoo for men, we’ve worked to include an nice assortment of products. However, no matter how well put together these formulas are, unless you are familiar with the primary cause of your own dandruff, you risk selecting the wrong shampoo for the task. Below, we’ve included the 5 primary reasons for dandruff.
When your scalp becomes thick with oil, it creates a breeding ground for microorganisms. It may mimic seborrheic dermatitis due to the increase in oil or irritated, itchy scalp, but it is entirely different.
Even if you do not have a natural increase in oil production, oil will accumulate if you do not wash or brush your hair enough. Here, the skin cells simply continue to buildup, and when they shed, it becomes dandruff.
Malassezia is a yeast-like microorganism common to each and every scalp, and some individuals simply have more of an issue with this fungi than others. Dandruff caused by malassezia has nothing to do with how often you wash your hair, or dermatitis.
Dandruff due to dry skin is not related to any of the aforementioned issues. Quite simply, dry skin tends to flake off, causing dandruff. If you suffer from this type, you’ll more than likely notice it more in colder climates or the winter months. In this case, you won’t need a dandruff shampoo, as a high quality shampoo and conditioner which hydrates your scalp and hair should be enough.
Contact dermatitis is usually due to your scalp reacting to an allergen. Perhaps you purchased a new ski hat and you are allergic to the type of fiber used in the cap, or perhaps a laundry detergent or another hair care product.
As a man suffering from the irritation and inconvenience of dandruff, it’s important to remember that it is not a reflection of yourself. Dandruff is a very common condition, and those who deal with it need not let it lower their self-esteem in any way, especially in our day and age when there are so many, affordable shampoos on the market. To get the best performance from each shampoo, it is crucial to know just what you are dealing with. Dandruff due to dry skin, eczema or microorganism overgrowth will have to be managed differently. Also, it cannot hurt to consider adding a bit more zinc to your diet as well. All in all, we are most confident that once you’re read our review of the best dandruff shampoos for men, you’ll be well on your way to wearing that black sport jacket once again.